Porcelain dolls may be your prized possessions and keeping them clean and fresh is something you should do every six months. As they can be delicate – especially if they are antique – you want to use the softest and safest cleaning methods so you don’t damage anything.
- Before cleaning take off all the doll’s clothes, remove hair ribbons etc.
- Assemble a makeup brush, a piece of white bread without the crust, some alcohol, a cotton swab like Q-tips, and a flea comb.
- With the makeup brush remove all visible dust from the face and body of the doll.
- Dip the cotton swab in the alcohol and get into creases in between toes and fingers, and around the eyes. Use a soft towel to pat dry.
- Comb your doll’s hair gently using the flea comb. Comb from the scalp down. This will get out all the tangles and accumulated dust, and keep her hair in good condition. Spray the hair with a bit of Febreeze to keep it fresh.
- Roll the white bread into a ball and use it to rub away any dirt from the doll’s face and body.
- Put the clothes in your dryer on an air cycle for ten minutes with a fabric sheet. This will refresh the clothes.
- Now you can redress your doll.
The care and maintenance of your porcelain dolls is a serious commitment if you want to keep them in good condition so they can be passed from one generation to another. They are treasured heirlooms that can be appreciated by your entire family, and as such, deserve your routine attention.