Arguably the most iconic doll of all time, Barbie, is turning 55 this Sunday, March 9th. Girls have been jealous of her just about her entire life, but more so now – she doesn’t look a day over 18. While there’s been a lot of criticism about Barbie’s roll in society and she’s no stranger to controversy, she certainly has a lot of love and has helped pave the way for many dolls as we know them today.
To help celebrate Barbie’s birthday, we dug up some little-known facts about Barbie that you may not already know, courtesy of USA Today:
- Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- As a Midwestern girl, Barbie’s hometown is the fictional Willows, Wisconsin, where she attended high school.
- The first Barbie doll rang up at a whopping $3.
- Ken was actually introduced in 1961, two years after Barbie.
- While she’s dated Ken on and off, Barbie has never been married or had children.
- Speaking of which, Ken and Barbie broke up in 2004 (on Valentine’s Day, of all days!) after a nearly 43-year relationship. But don’t worry – they rekindled the flame in 2011 on the same loving holiday.
- Barbie is quite multicultural and has represented nearly 40 nationalities.
- Height: 11.5 inches, weight: 7.35 ounces
- A horse named Dancer was Barbie’s very first pet.
- The best-selling Barbie doll of all time was the Totally Hair Barbie which came out in 1992.
- Barbie’s BFF since 1963 is Midge.
Check out the full article by clicking here.